At DOCAN we are steadily growing in size, and to enable this we need an array of personnel who can help the company grow. Within the company we have Subject Matter Experts / Principal Engineers who can develop clients, and technically manage large projects and help increase the technical competence of the company by passing on skills to lower levels. Ideally this continues and builds on DOCAN’s reputation as being leaders in its field. The SME/Principal also has an opportunity to build on their skills and contacts by bringing new work streams into the company. The SME/Principal can be contract or staff based.
- Salary & Benefits – Competitive base on experience and qualifications
The SME/Principal Mechanical Engineer shall be a leader, technical self-supporting and deemed expert in the area they work in. They shall have a background working in various areas at a high level (i.e. in several industries at a senior technical level).
The SME/Principal ideally has a multitude of high-level technical skills, but could be expert on one particular area – for instance, piping, or vessels, or stressing, or fluids, etc. If expert in one area, they shall have a track record of developing new clients in their area of expertise.
The SME / Principal shall be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Development and guidance of proposals, quotations and personal planning
- Guidance of more junior personal
- Checking and approvals of relevant work
- Developing new, modern, state of the art schemes to be a cut above the rest
- The management and overall responsibility for the mechanical engineering tasks – from simple analysis, all the way to delivery of a large-scale build and everything in between.
- Act on behalf of the company, and clients, as a Subject Matter Expert in their field of expertise, in a responsible and safe manner
- Maintaining quality of project deliverables, while ensuring project is delivered on time and within budget.
- Ensure, as far as practically possible, that all assigned work is carried out in compliance with agreed budget and schedule.
- Commitment to and promotion of company’s values and ensuring the realisation of company and project health, safety, environmental, quality and ethics, systems, policies and procedures.
- BEng/BSc/MSc. or higher degree in Mechanical Engineering or related STEM subject
- Chartered Engineer or working towards a Chartered Engineer status
Skills and Experience Required:
- A minimum of 20 years’ experience as a Mechanical Engineer in several industries, in several roles, and at a senior level in the latter years, ideally with practical experience gained from an apprenticeship or similar in the formative years
- A high-level knowledge of CAE – expert in at least one area with a good understanding of how to link the various areas together. This could be in areas such as PSA, FEA, CFD, FSI, TMC, etc.
- An excellent understanding of Engineering Science – in particular, stress, strain, statics, dynamics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics and engineering maths
- A good overall understanding of Mechanical Engineering (Design, Analysis, Metallurgy, Manufacturing, Constructability, etc)
- A practical ability to use CAD, ideally Solidworks or similar
- An expert understanding of using at least one international design codes (i.e. ASME, API, DNV, EN, BSI, ISO, etc), but a good general understanding of codes and standards
- Ability to drive a project to completion is essential to ensure on time, within budget project delivery to meet customer expectations.
- Knowledge of other design disciplines allowing you to effectively communicate in a multi-discipline environment.
- Experienced in quality control requirements and quality assurance for engineering work.
- Experienced in providing site support for fabrication or installation
The following will be advantageous:
- A history of technical management of personnel and clients at all levels with an ability to converse using practical English
- A history of managing projects, tasks, teams and others – to be a leader
- Knowledge of fluid network analysis either via hand calculation or computerised methods
Please note candidates must be eligible to work in UK.
To apply for the position please send your cv and cover note to email@example.com