At DOCAN our analysis expertise is used as the foundation for all of our other services.
Our experience is wide ranging – from Nuclear to Aerospace, to Defence and Oil and Gas.
Much of our work is within regulated industries and as such we complete our analysis following codes of practice, international standards and OEM handbook methods as applicable.
Some code examples include; API, DNV, LLOYDS, ABS, ASME, BSI, AUK, GKN, BE/EDF, etc.
If required, we develop our own methodologies – for instance, failure analysis and forensic investigation, to development of analysis methods to replicate test. In these cases, we follow logic and engineering principles.
We believe in simplicity first, and use a stepwise approach to complexity. When hand calculation or empirical methods are not suitable, we use numerical methods such as FEA or CFD.
When repetitive work or automation is required, we develop applications or macros using computational tools. Our preference is to use MAPLE for Rapid Prototyping, R&D and Development. We also use other mainstream tools such as MATLAB, Mathematica, Mathcad, FORTRAN, VBA, Python and others based on the task and client needs.
When numerical methods are required (FEA/CFD/CAE), we use MSC Software technology including MSC NASTRAN, MARC, APEX, CRADLE, and many others based on the MSC One Platform. This is cutting edge and offers us the ability to cover almost any type of physics problem.
We are also experts in thermo fluids and pressure systems. We use Flownex.com 1D thermo fluids modelling environment to cover most conceivable thermo fluids problems in drilling, refining, renewables, nuclear, power and more. Ever wanted to size equipment, tanks, vessels, pumps and look at controllability, start stop effects, NPSH, erosion, pressure drop or heat/mass transfer/reactions, or look at transient flow effects on piping and equipment or more. For pressure systems design we also utilise ROHR2.com for piping design and pipe stress, and PV Elite for completing pressure vessels design and assessments.
We are distributors of MSC Software, MAPLE, ROHR2 and Flownex – we selected them since they are world class solutions.
Some examples of work:
- Thermal management of Satcom’s equipment via FEA – Defence
- Pointing analysis of parabolic Satcom’s equipment – Defence
- Vibration response of Satcom’s equipment – Defence
- Assessment of rig top sides equipment – erosion studies, slugging studies, structures, cranes, pressurised systems per DNV, BV, Lloyds – Offshore Drilling (GOM / North sea)
- Assessment of high and ultra high pressurised equipment to ASME VIII Div 3 using non-linear methods, including burst, fatigue, cyclic loading, ratcheting and shakedown, fracture and crack growth, heat transfer – Subsea
- Assessment of BOP’s, RCD’s, Wellheads and Xmas trees per API codes – Offshore drilling
- Level 1,2 and 3 Fitness for Service of ASME piping and vessels to API579 – Refining & Chemicals
- Design stress analysis of A380 flap tracks by FEA using AUK methods – Aero / Civil
- F & DT equipment design for A400M by hand calculation using GKN methods – Aero / Defence
- Thermal-mechanical analysis of near Net shape forging equipment using FEA – Manufacturing
- Design analysis of structures, piping and equipment per ASME III, using hand based methods, pipe stress methods, and FEA methods for static and dynamic response – Nuclear
- Failure and forensic studies
- General consulting – all industries